Protecting Our Clients’ Rights And Futures

Do you have a child, spouse or parent in the military?

On Behalf of | May 15, 2023 | Firm News

If you are the spouse, widow(er), parent or son or daughter of a service member you may be eligible for Parole in Place (PIP) or Deferred Action (DA).

Which service members?

  • Active-duty members of the US armed forces,
  • Individual in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve, OR
  • Individual who previously served in any of the above who has not been dishonorably discharged

Determinations are made on a case-by-case basis and are discretionary. PIP is granted for one year while DA can be granted for longer. Once your PIP or DA is granted you are eligible for a work permit and driver’s license.

Should I apply for PIP or DA?

It depends. If you entered the U.S. without status USCIS will usually grant PIP. If you entered the US with status (such as a tourist visa) or if you cannot apply for adjustment of status (aka a green card) due to other inadmissibilities then USCIS will usually grant DA.

How will this help me in the future?

Although both PIP and DA are temporary benefits, they can be renewed. In addition, individuals who are granted PIP may be eligible to change their status to a lawful permanent resident (aka green card) through, for example, a family petition.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our office at (727) 471-0677.