Protecting Our Clients’ Rights And Futures

Do you have DACA? Do you want to travel abroad?

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2023 | Firm News

Individuals with approved DACA applications are eligible to apply for permission to travel also known as “advance parole” which allows them to travel outside of the U.S.  It is important to note that if you travel before your travel authorization is approved, you will lose your DACA status.

There are three reasons you can request to travel:

  1. Humanitarian
  2. Educational
  3. Work

Most of our clients travel abroad for humanitarian purposes such as to visit their parents or their elderly or ailing relatives. USCIS is currently taking approximately 4 months to approve these applications.

If you have DACA it is important that you speak to an immigration attorney to discuss whether it is a good idea to travel abroad. Even if you are granted advance parole, it does not guarantee entry back into the U.S; however, having a “legal” entry into the U.S. after travel with advance parole could open other doors to be able to fix your immigration status, such as through a US citizen spouse or child.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our office at (727) 471-0677.